Sad Facts on Technotrash or E-wasteThe terms “technotrash” and “e-waste” are catch-all terms
for the huge amounts of trash created when we discard electronics.
- We discard 20 to 50 million tons of technotrash worldwide every year, which amounts to about 5% of all solid waste.
- The U.S. produced 3.41 million tons of technotrash in 2011.
- In 2009, the EPA reported that about 2.37 million tons of
electronics were ready for disposal—that’s a 120% increase in the amount of
junk electronics compared to the numbers from 1999.
- Of the 152 million mobile devices thrown away in 2010, only 11% were collected for recycling.
- Only 24.9% of all discarded electronics were recycled in 2011.